Thursday, April 28, 2011

My policy for purchasing makeup

Yes, I have a crap ton of makeup and I do still buy constantly, but I never break the bank.  Here are my policies for buying makeup


  • I refuse to buy any drugstore makeup full priced.  Ever (unless it is e.l.f.).  Drugstore makeup go on BOGO 50%, BOGO free, or 40% constantly.  
  • If whatever drugstore makeup I want is over $5, I won't get it because I know that after sales and coupons, everything is either <$5 or free.
  • If I have a coupon for something that is still >$5 after using the coupon, I will save the coupon until the product is on sale.  Coupons generally expire 1 month after print if you get it from Coupons.com.  If it is from a manufacturer's website or packaging, it expires in 6-12 months.
  • I always, always, always, research the makeup I want before purchasing so that I know I won't be getting a low quality product and wasting my money.  Makeupalley.com is the way to go when researching for reviews and swatches.
  • I subscribe to Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS weekly circulation ads so I know when something is on sale so I can get it for just about free.
  • I only buy high end makeup if it is a cult absolute buy and I need it.  For the most part, I don't buy cult products because I know there are dupes for everything.  I will have up a drugstore dupes for high end products soon.
  • If I want to buy something at Sephora, I either wait till December for the $15 off $35 or 20% Friends and Family coupon.  On rare occasions, I do purchase full price.  I will generally only do this when it is a value set.
  • If I want to try out a high end product, but I don't know if it is going to work for me, I will ask for a sample of it.  Beauty counters are always willing to give out samples because it will attract more customers.
  • If there is something at Sephora I want and it is Asian, I will look for it on eBay.  Generally, Asian cosmetics are still cheaper on eBay even though they have to mail it out overseas.
  • If a product does not work for me or there is something wrong with it, I will go right ahead and return it.  A lot of people think that if makeup is opened or used, you can't return it.  It is absolutely not true at most beauty counters.  Companies want you to be satisfied.  This includes Sephora, Macy's, Mac, CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment