Saturday, April 16, 2011

Beauty Routine Products

I tend to use the same thing for years on end so this is just what I have been using for the past 5 or 6 months.  I know this looks like a crazy list; I've collected a crap load of products over the years so that is why I alternate so much.

Makeup Remover: Pond's Cold Cream, $9 - non-stripping makeup remover. You have to wipe it off with tissues so I go through boxes like crazy. It also leaves a film which I wash off with cleanser. A tub of this lasts a year when used 5x a week. If I am lazy, I will just wash my face 2x with my night cleanser. If I am wearing a very long wear foundation, I will use cleansing oil instead.  I like Mac Cleanse off Oil $24 and DHC Deep Cleansing oil $26.
Cleanser: L'oreal Skin Genesis Pore Minimizing Gel Cleanser, $8 - foams up really nice, cleans well, but can be drying. There is salicylic acid in this but very minimal. This is just a standard cleanser, nothing special. Also tastes bitter. If I didn't wear makeup that day, did not use cold cream, or in the morning, I cleanse with Clarisonic Gentle Hydro cleanser, $25. I always cleanse my face using a Clarisonic Mia, $149.
Exfoliator: Since I use a Clarisonic Mia, $149, it lightly exfoliates my skin every day. The products containing AHA that I use chemically exfoliates my skin. However in the shower I put a thin layer of St. Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub, $3. I really shouldn't be using this scrub because walnut shell bits microscopically scrape the skin but since I have full tube of this, I didn't want to waste it. I try not to scrub my skin when I have this on and I leave it on for 5-10 minutes so the 2% salicylic acid can do its job.
Mask: Boscia Luminating Black Mask $34, doesn't actually pull out visible gunk out of pores, only hairs, but I like the idea of pulling everything out. Queen Helene Mint Julepe Masque, $4 - cheap, sulfur helps clear face, drying if left on longer than 7 minutes, Kate Somerville Exfloliakate, $85 - enzymes dissolve gunk in pores, love the idea, love the "irritation" from the products because I know it is working.  Great for clogged pores.
Toner: Kose Sekkisei Lotion, $48 - daily night toner; has many skin brightening ingredients. Proactiv Revitalizing Toner, $10 - daily morning toner; weak AHA. DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner, $2 - used when skin is clogged or needs extra exfoliation; strong AHA. Joya Duchess Marden Damascena Pure Rose Water, $25 - used when skin is dry.
Acne Treatment: Proactiv Repairing Lotion, $23 - Not a favorite because it has silicones, but I still use because it is only 2.5% BP. I used this as an all over preventional treatment. For spot treatment I use Clearasil 10% BP treatment, $10. I sometimes top it off with Bye Bye Blemish Drying Lotion, $10 - 10% sulfur, 2% salicylic acid. After the alcohol got used up, I just pored in Biore Triple Action Astrigent, $9 because it has 2% salicylic acid and witch hazel.
Moisturizer: Amala Soothing Moisture Cream $72- expensive but amazing. It is jam packed with oils but my skin NEVER gets greasy afterwards. It is super moisturizing and reduces inflammation and redness like crazy. I use the Equate version of Cetaphil moisturizer on days when I am not inflammed. I also use the Equate version of the Aveeno Positively Radiant lotion in the morning because it has SPF and is a light lotion.
Eye cream:  Agera Phospolipid eye gel $32 - stings eyes.


Foundation: Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream #23, $30- I use a BB cream because it has skin benefiting ingredients and has Arbutin which lightens dark marks left by acne. This also changes to my skin tone so I don't have to change foundations often. This BB cream changes my undertone a bit grey. For reference I am a Mac NC 20-25.
Face Concealer: Mac Studio Finish SPF 35 concealer in NW25, $17- I use on my face because the NW matches the grey from the BB cream better than anything yellow based. NW concealers should be used under the eyes because it counter acts the bruise like colors but this color is too dark for me right now for use under the eyes. When my skin is lighter or darker, I use Benefit Boing concealers in #1 or #2, $18.
Under-eye Concealer: Physicians Formula Conceal RX in Natural Light $8- covers very well, not cakey. You only need a tiny tiny spot to cover everything up. This is a dupe of Amazing Concealer, $42. If my circles are not severe, I use Benefit Erase Paste in Medium $26.
Eyelash Curler: The old e.l.f. one that they designed $1. This is my favorite curler of all time. I have bought 5 others and none of them compare to this. It is such a shame that I broke it but it still works.
Lash Primer: Maybelline Intense XXL Microfiber mascara in waterproof , $7- I only use the white end as a waterproof lash primer that holds up my curl and keeps my mascara longer lasting.  If my eyelids are extra droopy or if I might cry or have cried, I use Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara in waterproof, $8because it holds a curl amazingly but it smudges and is hard to remove.
Mascara: Covergirl Lash Blast Volume- this does everything a mascara is suppose to do; it lengthens, separates, and volumizes.  Sadly I just ran out of this. Maybelline Great Lash mascara in Royal Blue, $5 - the color of this is amazing, I get compliments on my lashes everytime I wear this. The formula is wet and the brush does not separate clumps. Covergirl Lash Blast Length, $8 - sucks compared to the volume version. The brush is smaller so application is slower and the formula is more wet and it straightens out my lashes. Bare Escentuals Buxom mascara, 18 - great mascara, exactly like Covergirl Lash Blast Volume, $9 but it costs 2x as much and the formula smudges easier.
Powder: Maybelline Dream Matte Powder $8- I like this because it is pressed and also delivers a bit of coverage. The formula is smooth and does not cake up. I also use a DIY silica powder of 80% silica spheres and 20% magnesium myristate. This is a dupe of the MUFE HD powder $30 but cheaper and safer because of the magnesium myristate that gives the powder more weight. Silica powder is very finely milled and gives a flawless effect.
Brow Gel: Sephora Collection Lash and Eyebrow mascara in Brown $8- This is a pigmented brow gel that helps my eye brows match my hair color. Sadly, the color is discontinued and I am completely out.
Blush: Stila Custom Color Blush $20 - great bright pink that I looked very hard for. The formula is pigmented and the color is suppose to change and customize to your skin's pH to be your perfect match.  If my outfit calls for a peach/coral, I use e.l.f. Natural Radiance Blusher in Glow $1- great sheen, nice color, lasts 8 hours.
Highlighter - e.l.f. Healthy Glow Bronzing Powder in Luminance, $1 - great highlighter, great sheen, easy to use. Easily breakable, not good for travel, cheap packaging but great product for $1


I don't wear lipstick, face primer, eye shadow nor eye liner on a daily basis, if at all so that is why they are not on my list.


Shampoo: Mane n' Tail shampoo, $9 and Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight shampoo, $3 for degunking if I haven't washed my hair in days.  I use Avalon Organics Olive and Grape Seed Extra Moisturizing shampoo, $10 or L'oreal Eversleek shampoo, $6 if I'm washing my hair everyday or cleaning my ends up without drying them.  
Conditioner: I don't stick to one conditioner, I switch every time I wash my hair.  On my roots I use regular conditioner; on my ends I use treatments/repairing conditioner.  Currently, I am on a rotation of Aussie Opposites Attract conditioner, $3, Dove Intensive Repair Conditioner $5, Avalon Organics Olive and Grape Seed Extra Moisturizing conditioner $10 and Mane n' Tail conditioner , $9 for my roots.  For my ends I use either Dove Daily Intensive Repair Treatment $5, Renpure Amazing Miracle $7, Generic Value Hair Reconstructor $6, or Generic Value Conditioning Balm $6
Leave-in conditioner: Nexxus Pro-mend leave in treatment creme $10
Heat protectant: Tresumme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray $3 or Got2be Guardian Angel Heat Protect N' Flatten Flat Iron Balm and Gloss Finish $7
Blow Dryer: Conair Infiniti iSeries $29 
Flat Iron: Herstyler Pink Tourmaline iron $250
Curling Iron: Helen of Troy Gold Series Spring Curling Iron 1/2" $26
Hot Rollers: Remington Protect & Shine Soft Protection Flocked Setter $30
Glossing serum: Generic Value Silk Treatment $8, Citre Shine Anti Frizz Serum $8, Garnier Fructis Weightless Leave in Anti Frizz Serum $6
Hair dye: Revlon Colorsilk in either dark ash blonde, medium ash blonde, dark brown or dark mohagony brown $3
Dry Shampoo: Rene Furterer Naturia $24.


I style my hair like 10 times a year.  I don't like to use heat on my hair.  I like to just dry it straight or curly if I'm not lazy.  I don't use hair spray, mousse, wax, nor clay when I do my hair usually.  On top of that, I have too many styling products so I don't stick to one.  I tend to wash my hair 1-3x a week, between washes I use dry shampoo after the 2nd day of no washing.  


FTC:  I received Rene Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo, Remington Hot Rollers, and Amala Soothing Moisture Cream from Allure Giveaways.  I received both Avalon Organics products from a blog giveaway.  The Covergirl Lash Blast Length was from a company giveaway.  The Citre shine and Garnier Fructis serums, and both heat protectants were gifts from friends/family.      

1 comment: